Mouthgasmic RECIPES from the Garden
Bread of choice (stale is better!): try brioche, French, sourdough, or leftover pastries like cinnamon rolls, muffins, cookies, and danishes
1-2 cups milk or half & half
½ tbsp pure vanilla or almond extract
½ - 1 cinnamon stick, powdered
½ tsp ginger
Sugar, agave syrup, or honey to desired sweetness
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
Sprinkle of cayenne powder
1-2 tbsp butter
Toppings and stuffings (optional): chocolate or butterscotch chips, nuts, hydrated raisins or dried fruit, ice cream, whipped cream, lemon or brandy sauce
1. Lightly butter an 8 x 8 baking dish.
2. Fill the dish with torn or cubed bread and/or pastries. Layer bread with your choice of stuffings as you wish. (Note: pastries are delicious in this recipe, but this recipe turns out better if you use of mix of sturdier and more delicate types, or half pastry and half bread.)
3. Mix the custard by beating eggs with milk or half and half with vanilla or almond extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, sweetener, salt, and cayenne (optional).
4. Pour custard over bread, and allow to soak for 30 minutes up to overnight.
5. Dot with butter, sprinkle with sugar, and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour.
6. Serve warm or chilled with your choice of toppings!