We've already shared
- How to Use Diatomaceous Earth for Healthy Hair, Nails, & Skin
- How to Use Diatomaceous Earth to Rid Your Home, Garden, and Pets of Fleas!
- How to Use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth to Eliminate Parasites in Humans and Animals
and today we want to let you know that
Carpets get stinky after years of regular household use and spills, pets, and moisture.
Diatomaceous earth is filled with the fossilized remains of phytoplankton called diatoms, whose bodies are rich in silica. Silica is extremely porous and absorbent, making it perfect for deodorizing carpets. It's super simple to use!
How to use Diatomaceous Earth to Deodorize Carpets
You can spread DE over your entire carpet or just on the smelly parts. Consider using a face mask. While food grade DE is relatively safe for ingestion, it is very dusty and it's not enjoyable to breathe in clouds of dust. You can also cover surfaces and furniture you do not want to be dusty.
- Spread food grade DE on the carpet (you can use something like a sieve if you have it) and work in with a broom.
- Leave on for 24-48 hours. The longer the better for particularly odorous areas.
- Vacuum it up. Note: silica particles are very fine, and it could damage the filter in a standard home vacuum. Consider using a shop vac or industrial vacuum.
- Repeat as needed.
That's it!! It's an easy solution to freshen your home, plus it's super cheap. Between this and its dozens of other uses, we make sure to have it on hand in our household at all times.